Words By: Robert Garbett
The measures in the consultation are part our wider drones programme and strategy and will help shape the content of a draft Drones Bill which will be published later this year, as well as other future measures.
The measures under consultation include:
• Proposals for regulating and mandating the use of ‘apps’ on which pilots would file flight plans ahead of take-off
• Additional powers for the police to enforce the law
• Using new counter-drone technology to protect public events and critical national infrastructure, and stop contraband from reaching prisons
• Introducing minimum age restrictions for drone owners in addition to the new tests they will need to take
• Whether the 1km restriction around aerodromes, introduced as an amendment to the Air Navigation Order in May this year, is sufficient.
The consultation will run until 17 September 2018 and they're keen to engage with as wide a group as possible. Please do share and ensure that your own voice and views are heard.